Lifes many hurdles can put our bodies under a lot of stress.
Welcome to Source, Good Health Naturally!
Source - Good Health Naturally is a natural health clinic operating in Ashburton, Canterbury.
Melanie Knight is a Natural Health Practitioner and the face of Source. She is passionate about preventative medicine and using her knowledge of health and well being to create a holistic treatment plan for you. You will have ongoing support until your personal health objectives have been met.
Source clients can expect a high quality standard of care throughout their treatment programme.
If you want to address an ongoing problem that has been concerning you or you want to maintain your current health contact Source today.
Treatments available at Source
-Herbal Medicine Consultations
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology works to stimulate the natural healing ability of the body on a physical, emotional/ mental, and spiritual level. This is achieved through the application of pressure to specific points on the hands, feet and ears.
How does Reflexology Work?
- Balances energy – Reflexology helps to unblock congestion in energy pathways, returning the body to balance and improving physical & emotional wellbeing.
- Provides pain relief – Reflexology is known to stimulate the body to produce endorphins, the body’s natural painkiller. The relaxing effect of the treatment can also reduce the amount of pain as it relieves tension.
- Prevents problems occurring – Regular Reflexology can offer relaxation & together with other lifestyle changes can help prevent health problems occurring by relieving stress & preventing imbalance in the body’s systems. Reflexology also boosts the immune system, making it more effective in fighting infection.
- Detoxifies the body – Reflexology can improve the function of the lymphatic system. Aiding in the detoxification of the body.
- Aids in relaxation – A Reflexology session gives time out from hectic lives, it helps balance emotions, lessen stress, induce relaxation & promote restful sleep.
- Increases circulation – Reflexology increases circulation by easing tension & relaxing the whole body so that blood flows more freely.
- Stimulates the nervous system – Reflexology stimulates the nerve endings encouraging neural pathways to open so that all organs & systems in the body work together efficiently.
Reflexology is beneficial for many conditions including:
- Hormonal imbalances.
- Reproductive disorders.
- Digestive conditions.
- Cardiovascular conditions.
- Poor circulation.
- Lymphatic conditions.
- Musculoskeletal conditions.
- Tired acheing feet.
Some benefits of Reflexology are:
- Noticeable physical and emotional improvements.
- Increased self esteem and confidence.
- An ability to stay motivated.
- An improvement in concentration.
To enhance the treatment nourishing balms, oils, and essential oils are used.
What is Relaxation Massage?
Relaxation massage is a system of long strokes, kneading & friction movements, which are used to manipulate the soft tissues & the more superficial layers of the muscles.
Benefits of Relaxation Massage
- Intense relaxation.
- Increased circulation.
- Decreased muscle tension.
- Faster recovery of muscles after exercise.
- Improved energy flow & immune system function.
- Stimulates release of endorphins.
- Increase flow of oxygen & nutrients to cells & tissues.
To enhance the treatment nourishing balms, oils, and essential oils are used.
Pregnancy Massage and Hot Stone Massage also available on request
What is CranioSacral Therapy?
CranioSacral Therapy was pioneered and developed by osteopathic physician John E. Upledger following extensive scientific studies from 1975 to 1983 at Michigan State University, where he served as a clinical researcher and Professor of Biomechanics.
CranioSacral Therapy is a gentle, hands-on method of evaluating and enhancing the function of a physiological body system called the craniosacral system - which is comprised of the membranes and cerebrspinal fluid that surrounds and protects the brain and spinal cord.
CranioSacral Therapy is a light-touch manual therapy that works with the body to enhance the body's natural healing processes.
How is CranioSacral Therapy performed?
During a CranioSacral Therapy session clients remain fully clothed. The session is performed with the client lying on a treatment table while the practitioner stands or sits, positioned at the head, feet and torso at different times throughout the session. A typical CranioSacral Therapy session lasts approximately one hour.
How does CranioSacral Therapy work?
CranioSacral Therapy works by helping the body's natural healing mechanisms dissipate the negative effects of stress, especially within the nervous system. This is accomplished primarily through utilizing a physiological body system called the craniosacral system, the environment in which the central nervous system functions. It consists of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord, extending from the bones of the skull, face and mouth (which make up the cranium) down to the tailbone area (or sacrum).
CranioSacral Therapy works on the basis that imbalance or dysfunction of this system can adversely affect the development and performance of the brain and spinal cord and contribute to sensory, motor and/or neurological disabilities and dysfunction.
What conditions can CranioSacral Therapy help?
Because of its influence on the functioning of the nervous system, CranioSacral Therapy can benefit the body in a number of ways - from reducing stress and enhancing overall health to alleviating a wide range of specific medical conditions associated with pain and dysfunction, inlcuding:
- Neck and back pain
- Headaches and migraines
- Orthopaedic problems
- Occupational overuse syndrome
- Central Nervous system disorders
- Post-surgical dysfunction
- Fibromyalgia and other connective tissue disorders
- Neurovascular or immune disorders
- Learning disabilities
- Traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries
- Motor-Coordination Impairments
- Infantile Disorders
- Learning Disabilities
- Chronic Fatigue
- Emotional Difficulties
- Stress and Tension-Related Problems
- Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
The extremely light touch involved with the application of CranioSacral Therapy makes it a safe approach for people of all ages, inlcuding children, infants and newborns.
By complementing the body's natural healing processes, CranioSacral Therapy is increasingly used as a preventive health measure for its ability to bolster resistance to disease, and is effective for a wide range of medical problems associated with pain and dysfunction.
What is Herbal Medicine?
Herbal Medicine is the traditional medicine of all cultures and remains the most widely used system of medicine in the world today.
Herbal medicines are plants which are used medicinally for their therapeutic effect. They can be in the form of alcohol tinctures, teas, tablets, capsules, and syrups. Prescription of Herbal Medicines is based on age old traditional uses and modern scientific research into the benefits and actions of each plant.
What is a Medical Herbalist?
A Medical Herbalist is a practitioner highly trained in the philosophies, principles, and practice of Western Herbal Medicine and Medical Science, who takes a holistic view towards health and illness and who will assess you as a person not a disease. A Medical Herbalist prescribe and dispense plant medicines in a safe and effective manner, seeking to treat the underlying cause of the problem, while acknowledging the body’s innate ability to heal itself. They aim to prevent illness and restore health by also providing dietary and lifestyle advice.
What can Herbal Medicine help with?
Herbal Medicine is being increasingly validated as modern science seeks to understand the chemistry of medicinal herbs and to confirm their safety and efficacy in clinical trials. Almost any condition that patients might see their doctor for can be treated with Herbal Medicine. In particular, it is extremely effective for treating disorders of the nervous system, digestive system, immune system and reproductive system.
A qualified medical herbalist knows when a condition is best seen by another health professional and will refer you when appropriate.
Book an appointment today and take the first step to achieving Good Health Naturally!
- Diploma Reflexology & Relaxation Massage
- Diploma in Herbal Medicine
- CranioSacral Therapy Level One
- CranioSacral Therapy Level Two
- Somatoemotional Release One
- Reiki Level One (First Degree)
Aromatherapy, Craniosacral Therapy, Herbalists, Pregnancy Massage, Reflexology, Stone Therapy Massage, Swedish Relaxation Massage