3 Important Facts About Nutrition
Good food is something more than filling your stomach. What you eat can affect you heath, energy and mental health.
The most important aspect of eating well is to have a varied diet. By eating a variety of healthy foods, you will be ensured of received important vitamins and minerals that will make you feel and look your best.
Here are 4 interesting facts about nutrition
Rainbow Colours and Rules
- To ensure you menu is filled with all the nutrients you need, you can choose a rainbow of colourful foods found in an array of fruits and vegetables as well as dairy, poultry, fish, grains, lean meats.
- The pigment found in the colourful fruits and vegetables are the nutritious substances that can reduce your risk of certain diseases such as heart disease and macular degeneration.
- When eaten in combination, fruits and vegetables will give you a super boost of antioxidants. These will reduce free radicals which are the unstable molecules in the body that damage cells and are thought to contribute to the development of many chronic diseases.
Added Sugar Can be a Calamity
We all know that added sugar can be detrimental to your health if consumed in excess.
- Sugar contains empty calories and contain no nutrients
- Excess sugar consumption is being implicated as a leading cause of obesity, dental decay, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease.
- Sugar makes your brain resistant to the hormone leptin, which effectively will cause weight gain.
Omega 3 Fats are Crucial, and Most People are Lacking
- Omega-3 fatty acids are extremely important for proper functioning of the human body.
- DHA, an Omega-3 fatty acid makes up about 40% of the polyunsaturated fats in the brain
- Omega 3 fatty acids are important for effective brain function.
- The plant form of omega 3 fatty acids ALA, needs to convert into DHA or EPA in order to function correctly in the human body.
Printer Friendly Version
Related Modalities Nutrition