Check out These 3 Tips to Healthier Skin
Check out these 3 Tips to Healthier Skin
Good skin care and healthy lifestyle choices can help to keep your skin healthy and glowing. Check out these 5 Tips to Healthier Skin:
Protect yourself from the sun
One of the best ways to take care of your skin is to protect it from the sun. Wrinkles, ages spots and other skin problems as well as an increased risk in skin cancer can be caused by a lifetime of sun exposure.
The best way to protect your skin from the sun:
- Always use sunscreen when outdoors. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. It is important to reapply sunscreen generously, and every two hours. If you are swimming or perspiring, it should be reapplied more often.
- Seek shade. Between 10am and 4pm, the sun is at its strongest. It is a good idea to try and avoid the sun between these times.
- Wear protective clothing. Wide brimmed hats are a great idea to wear in order to protect your face and head from sunburn and sun damage.
Do not smoke
- Smoking damages your skin and health in many ways:
- Smoking contributes to wrinkles.
- It makes skin look paler as it narrows the tiny blood vessels in the outermost layers of skin which decreases the blood flow to that part of the skin.
- This also depletes the skin of oxygen and nutrients that are important to skin health.
- Smoking also damages collagen and elastin which are the fibres that give your skin strength and elasticity.
- When you smoke, you use repetitive facial expressions such as pursing your lips when inhaling and squinting your eyes to keep out smoke. These can contribute to wrinkles.
- Smoking also increases your risk of squamous cell skin cancer.
Eat a healthy diet
A healthy diet can contribute to healthy looking skin. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins. Some research suggests that there is a correlation between a diet rich in fish oils and low in unhealthy fats and processed or refined carbohydrates and healthy, younger looking skin. It is also important to drink plenty of water which helps keep your skin hydrated.
Printer Friendly Version
Related Modalities Men's Health Women's Health