Stress is a normal part of everyday life. Reacting to stress can motivate you to accomplish projects that you might not otherwise pursue, it can give you the jump start you might need to meet your deadlines and your goals.
However, too much stress is not healthy and cause trigger many health problems, both mentally and physically. Some stresses can include:
- high demands at work
- family problems
- financial difficulties
- traumatic events
- or the loss of a loved one.
Unfortunately, many people tend to deal with these types of issues in damaging and unhealthy ways. Often, they satisfy their emotional stresses by overeating, excessive drinking, using drugs, excessive caffeine consumption, becoming a workaholic, or developing chronic anxiety or depression.
In order to deal with stress positively, it is important to implement some self-care strategies. The following may be some effective ways of reducing the stress:
- Create a healthy work-life balance. If you are a workaholic, try to create a work/life balance. Determine a cut off time for work so that you have some time post work and pre-bed to reflect and switch off from you day. Sometimes, learning more effective time-management strategies can be helpful.
- Establish your priorities. If you find yourself with too many commitments, take some time out to consider your priorities and which jobs to put at the top of the pile.
- Engage in a physical activity several times a week. Exercise triggers endorphins (the happy hormones). It is also a great way to get rid of excessive stress.
- Try a change of scenery. A change is as good as a holiday. Take some time to walk to the park, sit by the ocean watching the waves are all ways to destress.
- Avoid emotional eating. During times of stress, it is very common to find comfort in food. This can have an adverse effect as whey we overeat, this often leads to negative feelings about ourselves. It is important to become more mindful of your eating habits when you are under stress.
- Practice meditation or relaxation techniques. Meditation is great for destressing. It allows you to be in the moment which can lead to lowered stress levels.
- Be creative! Being involved in a hobby or group activity that you can enjoy. Being with like-minded people can lower stress and is invigorating.
Printer Friendly Version
Related Modalities Men's Health Women's Health