Natural Infertility Treatments
Issues of Fertility
Fertility problems have slowly been on the rise for the last 25 years, with up to 25 percent of couples experiencing difficulties in conceiving. Causes include:
- Ovulatory failure (including Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) 20%
- Tubal damage 15%
- Endometriosis 5%
- Male problems (including low sperm count) 26%
- Unexplained 34%
As a result, more and more couples are seeking expensive medical assistance in order to conceive. Science is however unable to effectively treat “unexplained” cases where there is obviously a deeper problem at hand. This is where natural approaches to infertility may be useful, as most holistically address the couples lifestyle factors, emotional life and nutritional deficiencies in order to solve the infertility problem.
Natural Treatments for Fertility
There are a wide range of natural treatments which may assist with infertility. Read on to find out more on which natural therapy may best suit your infertility needs (for more treatment options also see Natural Fertility Management)
- Nutrition for fertility: A diet rich in nutritious foods ensures a strong immune system, healthy weight and vitality levels fit for pregnancy. Certain foods contain specific nutrients, which are essential to reproductive health, and other foods contain substances that may actually lower fertility levels and consequently hinder the conception process.
- Herbal Medicine for fertility: Herbal medicine works to treat infertility problems through the use of herbs and plant extracts. The remedies nourish the body as a whole as well address specific issues associated with the infertility problem.
- Meditation for fertility: Meditation aims to calm the mind from the incessant stream of thinking often responsible for high stress levels, decreased vitality and disease. It has been demonstrated by science as a powerful healing tool that uses focused attention, positive affirmations, breath work and visualizations to both create a healthy, fertile body and to relieve any anxiety surrounding the infertility issue.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for fertility: TCM employs several techniques to treat the cause of the infertility as well as alleviate its symptoms. These practices include Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture, Massage, Diet, Ki Qong and other exercises that get you fit for pregnancy. TCM works on the principle that reproductive disorders stem a stagnancy in the blood, heat in the organs and weakness in the kidney or liver that all may result from blocked energy flow across the body’s meridian system.
- Homeopathy for fertility: Homoeopathy can be used to treat the causes of both male and female infertility. It is effective because it improves the person’s overall health, including their reproductive health.
- Hydrotherapy for fertility: Hydrotherapy stimulates the immune system through normal water pressure, influencing the production of stress hormones and improving a healthy metabolism. It also improves circulation and digestion. Hydrotherapy can alleviate the stress and depression that are often associated with infertility and that can negatively affect your chances for falling pregnant.
- Reiki for fertility: eiki works to improve a person’s overall physical and mental health, including reproductive health, thus improving your chances of getting pregnant. It also minimises conditions and illnesses that can contribute to infertility. As stress is often linked to fertility problems, Reiki can be helpful for this.
- Pilates and fertility: Pilates exercises help to improve fertility as they reduce stress, thus helping to restore hormonal balance in the body, and therefore fertility. In addition, it also releases endorphins, substances that promote a better response to pain and stress in the body, as well as promoting better sleep quality. In this sense, its benefits are similar to that of yoga.
- Ayurveda and fertility: Ayurveda sees both male and female fertility and the ultimate act of creation and as the driving force of human destiny. Fertility is the sum total of optimal food digestion and optimal experiences. Healthy male and female fertility requires a healthy digestive fire, quality of tissue, and free flowing channels in order for the reproductive system to be properly nourished.
- Naturopathy and fertility: Naturopathy can help with male and female infertility as it improves overall health through diet, exercise and a healthy attitude, all of which are crucial to reproductive health. A high consumption of minerals such as zinc and vitamins such as vitamin A helps to alleviate fertility problems as these help to regulate hormones. Caffeine is discouraged as it has been linked to infertility and alcohol is also limited as it affects prolactin, which plays an important role in the regulation of the menstrual cycle.
Printer Friendly Version
Related Modalities Herbal Medicine Meditation Nutrition Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)